This project is read-only.

Opportunity for improvement

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:14 AM
I came across this library when I had a need to write a hard link scanner and comparison utility at my place of employment.  It seems to me that in addition to the max path length limitation of the .NET File, FileInfo, Directory and DirectoryInfo classes, there is also an issue with the limited amount of information that can be obtained about a file in the .NET BCL.  I think it would be a great addition to this fine library if information from the Win32 GetFileInformationByHandle() call was included.  Also, if one could obtain all links to a file via the GetFirstFileNameW() and GetNextFileNameW() Win32 calls that would be a welcome addition and improve the completeness of this library.
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Edited Apr 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM
Hi, and thanks for your encouraging words.

GetFileInformationByHandle has actually just been added in Work item 9681.

The suggested First/NextFileName functionality is a good idea to include I think (especially since I actually also need this functionality :). I have been a bit reluctant to add Vista specific functionality to the library, but I see no good reason to leave this particular one out.  I created workitem 9697 for this scenario.

Thanks for your suggestions! :)

Sincerely, Peter
Apr 8, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Cool!  I'll keep an eye out for the changes.  Thanks for listening and thanks for the library!
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM
You're very welcome.
Changeset 26679 now implements File.GetHardlinks() providing the functionality you requested (along with some other convenient improvements).