This project is read-only.

MIT License

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM
I am new to the MIT license and have been searching for a definitive answer on how to use a library such as AlphaFS which has an MIT license. Can someone point me to a web page which describes exactly what I must do to comply with the license requirements? This is the part that is not clear to me:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
If my application simply links to the library and I am not re-distributing the library's source code, do I have to do anything else? ...such as including something in a user guide or help about window?
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM
It is a good question indeed. As the original author of this library I guess I should probably have an answer for you, but unfortunately I don't, even after searching around the web for information on this for quite a while. As always, consult a lawyer to be sure, and even then I guess you can't be a hundred percent sure. It would be up to the judge and jury of a court if it came to that.

But the intent of this section (in my opinion anyway) seems to be to prevent anyone else from claiming ownership of the code.

If I were to guess, I'd say it would be enough to include a LICENSE.txt, or README.txt file alongside the AlphaFS binaries containing the license and information about to which part of your software it applies.

It is annoying that even the simplest of licenses leaves some room for interpretation, but this one simply states that the license must be included, not in which form. So I'd probably include it in the least noticable way possible, such as a .txt file somewhere along side with the binary.

Don't know if this helps, but it is probably the best I can do.
Feb 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Thanks...that was helpful.

BTW... Great job on the library. I am amazed Microsoft dropped the ball on long file name support, but you (and others who have helped) have done a fantastic job filling the void.