This project is read-only.

File Copier

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:00 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM

There is an idea to include a robust file copier class into AlphaFS to make interesting usage from Folder.Copy method.

Copier with extendability of source and destination interfaces (folder, archives, network, ftp). Like robocopy and RichCopy with better API.

What do you think?

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Sounds interesting.

Two thoughts:

1) Where basic copying falls short is over networks.  To get good performance, you need large buffers and multiple threads (to overcome latency).  Packaging this in a UI of some sort may be out of scope for this project, but might be a good idea in general.

2) Since you're dealing with the FS at a low level, it could also be useful to offer "copy" functionality that actually just creates links.  I'm deliberately saying nothing about the specific types of links; that would depend on what the OS and FS support, and what you want to expend effort on.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM

GUI client is definitely a separate project.

There is already a nice implementation of copier with multiple threads, buffers, retries, logs and many more features. I'd like to enclose it to AlphaFS the way that source and destination be abstract so implementers could make their own container connectors.

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM

where is the nice implementation of copier with multiple threads, buffers, retries, logs and many more features ?? thanks

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM
If you are really interested than i can start working on it. The problem is that i already wrote one at my last work, so technically i should not write the same program again. Probably the GUI is the main part that needs to be rewritten if the core components are almost the same? What do you think?
Jul 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM
If I couldn't write the same program again, I'd be unemployed. :-)

Seriously, I don't think this is a real blocker. Your last employer has a copyright on the specific implementation, as well as any trade secrets, patents, etc. But file copying is so generic that they can't credibly claim that they can prevent you from writing code that does it. Moreover, if you write an implementation now, it will not duplicate your last one because you've learned from it and won't repeat the same errors.

Just my $0.02 worth, for free.

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:39:01 -0700
Subject: Re: File Copier [alphafs:63463]

If you are really interested than i can start working on it. The problem is that i already wrote one at my last work, so technically i should not write the same program again. Probably the GUI is the main part that needs to be rewritten if the core components are almost the same? What do you think?
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (alphafs@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email alphafs@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn more.