Are long paths are supported ?

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Hi

Saw your mega cool library supports transactions! But what about long paths? For backup software it is a must!

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Of course, that was actually why it was written in the first place. The transactions came later as a bonus ;)

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

My respect!

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Happy Holidays everyone!

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:41 PM

My respect you too.

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Dear decaf,

your AlphaFS seems to solve the biggest Windows problem - the 248character path length restriction.

However I have not managed to enable your new apis for my windows explorer. How can I do this? Can you may supply an alternative windows explorer that can do this in combination with you AlphaFS?

I have tons of nested scientific files, which I really need to use from windows. The subst command is only a useless workaround, as I even run out of drive characters.

I hope you can tell me how I can enable the 32000 character path length for the windows explorer or any other program that can move files etc.

The \\?\ or \\?\UNC - in front of the path-workaround does not work at all.

System:

Windows 7 SP1, 64bit

Filesystems: NTFS and ext4 (however I can also restrict everything to NTFS if necessary).

Thanks a lot,

Michael 

Developer
Jan 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Edited Jan 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Michael,

Perhaps you can paste some example code that doesn't work?

In Path.cs, there's a prefix you can use throughout your code: Path.LongPathPrefix

So for example: Directory.CreateDirectory(Path.LongPathPrefix + "C:\\....");

should work without any problems.

Regards,
Yomodo

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:53 PM

As a short term solution you can use following commands:

* mklink

* junction

To create a many links to the near end points of those long path directories.

MS is bizzare indeed about it's archaic 255 paths, so use Linux :)

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Dear Yomodo,

my problem is that I have files on my hard disk, which have a path longer than 248 characters. I need paths this long and thus hope that there is some kind of windows-explorer replacement to solve this problem.
Does your system have any possibility to deliver this?
Your help is greatly appreciated,
Michael
Jan 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Hi cool guys,

i had the same issue when i was creating backup tool and once again when was moving my documents from linux fat32 to windows drive....

Most archivers and some antiviruses do not handle big paths (they silently skip it including copying) and even cannot open it.

7-zip File Manager handles big and long paths. That's powerfull archiver of Igor Pavlov. Comparing to other archivers it packs files files in such folders without problems. After installing 7-zip you can open it via Start\Run, enter 7zfm. To open double panel mode press F9

as i remember Windows has no support for long paths because enabling such support is rewriting tonns of existing windows software and will break third-party c++-based existing software...

Regards