AlphaFS and file backup

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Hi, I was playing with AlphaFS for a few days for backup and restore.

It is found that we are using CopyFileEx to copy files. From a backup point of view, shouldn't there be some AlphFS API wrapping OpenEncryptedFileRaw like methods?

I think if so we can run a backup application using just backup priv?

or am I missing something?

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM

OpenEncryptedFileRaw is only for encrypted files. BackupRead and BackupWrite are for unencrypted files (if I understand the documentation correctly). The BackupFileStream class in AlphaFS supports BackupRead and BackupWrite.  As for the encrypted methods I don't think there is support for them in AlphaFS (yet).

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:26 PM

yup,

if my understanding is correct, the user running backup app must have the correct certificates to decrypt the files in order to use BackupRead to read file from EFS

and

OpenEncryptedFileRaw doesn't have such limitation since it is not at all trying to decrypt the files, right?

So AlphaFS could have equipped to do so too?? Just a thought.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Encryption/decryption happens automatically with most of the regular api calls if the right cert is installed.

However there are situations when if the drive was taken out of the computer for forensic analysis, you would need to access the encrypted files.

In that situation there is usually a delegated decryption user's certificate is stated in the encrypted files metadata, usually it is a active directory primary administrator who allowed the EFS to be used by regular users. So you would need to acquire the cert from that admin to the computer which will try to decrypt affected files.

I think think we could add some extra methods when the right Windows license with EFS lands on one of our hands.

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.