This project is read-only.

Getting Started Doc? Demo?

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I am new to AlphaFS and can only see an API reference. How about a Getting Started Doc? or even better, a nice little demo app to show the basics and highlight some of the extra features?

Otherwise, everyone has to fall into the trap of not using GetLongPath before discovering that is must be used, and then continue experimenting on when GetRegularPath needs to be used.
Developer
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Hi! Thank you for using AlphaFS.

Most classes in AlphaFS are a duplicate of .NET classes, enhanced with LongPath support.

Usage, or getting started, is simple: just replace the namespace!

e.g.: System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory() would become: Alphaleonis.Win32.Filesystem.Directory.CreateDirectory();

You could also use a "using" statement: using Directory = Alphaleonis.Win32.Filesystem.Directory;

Regards,
Yomodo
Marked as answer by Yomodo on 1/19/2014 at 9:44 PM
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Thanks for your fast reply!

According to some discussions here, GetLongPath should be used to wrap each path being passed in - if it may be long. (and I assume GetRegularPath for FullNames being returned from functions like GetFiles). Is that right? That is the bit which is confusing without many docs.

I am only implementing it right now and haven't had a chance to test this theory yet.
Developer
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Yes, for the current stable version: 1.5, GetLongPath() should be used where appropriate.

However, in the latest development builds, this is no longer required.

LongPaths will automatically be applied internally for all Win32 API functions that support it, no need to worry about this anymore.

Regards,
Yomodo
Developer
Feb 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Also, take a look at the Unit-Tests, lots of examples.
Feb 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Is there any indication when the next version will be available - even as a beta? (I do a LOT of user visible file operations and the conversions back and forward is very, very messy.)

I tried the latest development version without explicit long path prefixes and it does not seem ready to do it yet (creating directories, copy and move files) Fair enough - it is a work in progress.

Also I couldn't find any replacement for the FileSystemWatcher class which is a part of System.IO.

Keep up the good work. I really like what you have done so far.
Developer
Feb 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Bean,

Could you provide us with some examples that will fail so I can get a clearer picture.
I do a lot of IO stuff without using explicit LongPath-ing.

No concrete plans for the System.IO.FileSystemWatcher() class, but it's noted.
Perhaps you might want to report this as a Proposed issue, so we won't forget about it.

Regards,
Yomodo